Friday, May 14, 2010

Recommended reading - The Magus, John Fowels

Reading it in the past his novel The French Lieutenant's Woman, I certainly didn't expect this.
The problem with this book is that I couldn't seem to stop picking it up again and again.
I don't know if I fully understood the book, just as Urfe doesn't fully understand the experiment. But I knew I wouldn't stop, that I was free to stop, but that, rather than feeling obliged to finish or understand, I exercised my freedom to explore and discover.
The book finishes abruptly leaving you craving for more and still wondering, still connected to that unbelievable world.
"Cras amet qui numquam amavit quique amavit cras amet." ("Let him love tomorrow who has never loved, and let him who has loved love tomorrow.") are the final words of the book.
It seems fairly clear that Fowles is indicating, through the quote, his preferred resolution to the story as it pertains to Nicholas and Alison. Although ultimately, as Fowles has noted, it is up to the reader to come up with his or her own interpretation.

No comments: